Hidden Trails have worked with local communities in 2019 to develop a series of treks that are exclusively offered to trekkers who are able to base themselves out of this amazing facility. Treks such as “In Search of Seetha”, “Waterfall - Ellamulla Gardens Loop” and the “Eastlands Cultural Trek” have rarely been traversed by tourists and local guides will provide you with rare insights into their communities.
The Tea & Experience Factory is an ideal location to base yourself as trekkers of all abilities explore the local surroundings. Hidden Trails – Sri Lanka offers several treks which were explored, mapped, named and rated by our Sri Lanka born International Guide – Stewart Kreltszheim (Bugher) and his team of local guides – Mohan (Sinhalese) and Moorthy (Tamil) allowing a multi-cultural insight into some amazing local communities. All these treks can be completed in a day which means that trekkers can enjoy the principle intention of this experiential boutique hotel which is to provide its visitors with an immersive, artisan journey from tea plucking to packing while creating a luxurious space for trekking with rest and relaxation. The locals from the estate have been re-employed at the tea factory to help them sustain their way of life.
Come, discover the region, meet the locals and learn the craft of making your own Hidden Trails Treks include:
Eastland Cultural Trek Rating (3 to 4 chillies): Trek through a variety of landscapes (villages, tea plantations, vegetable gardens) to the Eastland Division Muster Shed and then on to “World’s End” (4 + hours)
Waterfall - Ellamulla Gardens Loop (2 to 3 chillies depending on conditions): The trek begins as a gentle walk through the tea fields along well-made tracks and rocky roads however after about 90 mins it leaves the roads and you begin to trek along tracks used by only the locals. There are some technically challenging components and at a steady pace should take the average trekker 4 hours.
In Search of Seetha (2 to 3 chillies depending on conditions): Travel to Mooloya Estate by car for approximately 2 hours and then trek to “ a mattress of flowers” on top of a beautiful mountain range and then return to the Tea & Experience Factory mid-afternoon.
Kabagaragla Waterfall (1 chilli) – a gentle one hour (each way) stroll along well-made tracks and plantation roads.
Part of the working tea factory has been converted into luxury accommodation and comprises of 16 rooms designed to help you relax and enjoy nature. Each room is equipped with an attached bathroom and includes facilities to suit a variety of travel needs. The dormitory has access to separate female and male bathrooms.
“Sinna Dorai ” Floor (Ground Floor) - 04 Rooms
03 - Double Rooms (28m2) 01 Family Room (41m2) “Periya Dorai” Floor (1st Floor) - 12 Rooms
06 - Double Rooms (40m2) 04 Twin Rooms (40m2)
02 Family Rooms (57m2)
Dorm (6 Bunk Beds) -Maximum of 12 Pax (65m2)
Temperature Controlled Pool - Length 11m, Width 3.6m, Height 1.2m
Pool table and board games
Vintage ambience bar & restaurant
Day 1 - Pick up from Kandy or Nuwara Eliya - Trek along Eastland Cultural Trail - Swimming - Overnight in Tea Factory
Day 2 - Hike Waterfall Ellamulla Gardens Loop - Lunch - Hike In Search of Seetha trail - Swimming - Overnight in Tea Factory
Day 3 - Hike Kabagaragla Waterfall - Head off to next destination
- Fresh air, amazing views, peace and tranquillity and a chance to stay in a boutique hotel that blends beautifully into its surroundings.
- Transfers to and from Kandy or Nuwara Eliya
- Accommodation in a range of rooms to suit your needs and budget
- All meals prepared by our chef's utilising local produce
- A range of hiking tours guided by fully trained Sri Lankan guides who will share the stories of the area and take you on treks exclusively developed for Hidden Trails.
Due to the nature of your expedition, we recommend lightweight, quick-dry clothing. The following is a packing guide:
- Travel insurance
- Personal toiletries - Toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant.
- Clothing for Temple visits
- Lightweight casual clothing for day wear, travel and sightseeing.. shorts, shirts etc
- Smart casual attire for around the bar and to wear in the restaurant.
- Light hiking boots that are waterproof
- pair of cotton/wool blend hiking socks
- shirt to trek in
- shorts/pants. (Zip off leg style ideal for the different hiking locations).
- 1x trekking pole, (optional, but highly recommended especially for people with injuries which could resurface from walking uneven surfaces, e.g. ankle and knee injuries).
- 1x small day bag/pack (approx. 20 - 30 L)
- 1x water bottle
- Pair of thongs or sandals
- Hat with a wide brim to keep the sun off your face
- Rain jacket/poncho (something lightweight)
- 1 x thermal top
- Bathers- Regular swimwear is totally acceptable in resorts and hotels. For areas outside of these, it is recommended for ladies wearing bikinis to use a sarong to cover exposed thighs
- Sarong for just about anything
- Tropical strength insect repellent- Recommend Bushmans
- 1x small hand sanitiser bottle
- Camera- spare batteries and spare memory card/s
- International charger adaptors for recharging phone, camera etc.
- Copy of your insurance policy
- Personal First Aid kit/medication. Your personal First Aid kit should contain band-aids, blister dressings, topical cream for bites and grazes, antibiotic cream for cuts and scratches, anti-diarrhoea tablets, paracetamol, anti-chaff cream, Deep Heat or other muscle linaments.
- Leech socks
*If you have something you are particularly prone to, e.g. asthma, allergies, ear infections, hay fever, or sinus problems etc, bring what you need with you.
You can combine one or more of our Hidden Trails adventures as part of your greater Sri Lanka trip OR we can customise your entire journey to Sri Lanka, from adventure to a seaside bungalow, from a trek across the roof of the island to a luxury jungle safari. Whatever your needs, we are able to tailor a trip for you!